First Lawsuits Filed Against Aesculap in Philadelphia
On Tuesday, March 13, 2018, the Johnston Law Group filed another lawsuit against Aesculap Implant Systems for the failure of its Advanced Surface knee implant systems. The Johnston Law Group previously filed suit against Aesculap in Los Angeles County. This time around, the lawsuit was filed on behalf of 29 plaintiffs in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and is titled Cocco et al. vs. Aesculap Implant Systems, Inc. et al., Case No. 180301197.
Details of the Case
According to the lawsuit, the plaintiffs were severely injured by Aesculap knee implants having a “Teflon-like” coating. Plaintiffs allege this coating, which Aesculap refers to as an “Advanced Surface,” caused their implants to prematurely fail by preventing the bone cement from remaining adhered to the implant components.
While there has been no mandatory or voluntary recall of the coated implants at this time, there has been an increasing number of adverse event reports filed with the FDA in recent months concerning failures of the devices to remain adhered or bonded to the bone cement. Some of the narratives included in the recent reports include:
- “Failure - massive bone, loosening tibia and femur. Total knee replacement.”
- “Failed total knee cement loosening global failure tibia first revised.”
- “Total knee loosening 80 femur 90% tibia, revised. Pt refuses to revise at this time.”
- “Delamination cement loose implants result and failure right. Tibial loosening followed by global failure from cement failing to adhere.”
- “Right total knee failure, fixation failure, cement debonded right side. Loose tibia, unstable implant. Global failure of entire construct, revised. Loosening tibia, global failure total knee left side, revised.”
The proprietary coating is available across the entire Aesculap knee implant lineup, including the Vega, Columbus, Univation, Columbus Revision and EnduRo knee implant systems.
Get Legal Help You Can Trust
Our firm is dedicated to helping victims of dangerous medical devices, including faulty knee implants. If you or someone you know has failed to recover after receiving one of these knee implant systems, please contact us today. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Don't wait - call us at 664.464.0062 to schedule your free consultation today!